Home | Energy Star  | Home Improvement | Energy Efficient Products  |  Resources | Directory | SiteMap
Energy Efficient Products

ENERGY STAR� � Lighting and Signage

  • Compact Fluorescent Light Bulbs
  • Traffic Signals
  • Exit Signs
Compact Fluorescent Light Bulbs

Shopping for light bulbs? Choose ENERGY STAR qualified CFLs .

  • They use 75% less energy than incandescent bulbs
  • Fit in most fixtures � indoors and out
  • Last for at least five years*
  • Provide excellent lighting
  • Recover their costs through energy savings, and
  • Are an easy way to take the One-Tonne Challenge on Climate Change

* Based on three hours of use per day

Product Listings
We are currently sharing lists of ENERGY STAR qualified compact fluorescent lamps ( CFLs ) with ENERGY STAR in the United States. When you click on the links below, you will be taken to the U.S. ENERGY STAR web site. To return to Canada's ENERGY STAR web site, simply click on the "Back" button on your web browser.

Compact fluorescent light bulbs ( CFLs ) use 75 percent less energy and last 10 times longer.

Many styles of CFLs , look like they are twisted or can look like regular incandescent light bulbs. CFLs last longer and consume 75 percent less energy than standard bulbs - and that makes a whole lot of difference on your energy bill!

Energy efficiency pays. The average Canadian home has 30 light fixtures that consume close to $200 worth of electricity every year. Replacing just five bulbs with ENERGY STAR ® qualified CFL bulbs in areas that require more than three hours of light a day saves approximately $30 a year.

CFLs have undergone many changes since they were first introduced 15 years ago. New designs mean that they will fit in almost any light fixture.

Compact fluorescent bulbs that meet ENERGY STAR specifications have an extended life � they are rated to last up to 10 times that of regular incandescent light bulbs of equivalent power.

Regular incandescent light bulbs have changed very little since their invention in the 1800s.They waste a lot of energy � less than 10 percent of the energy they consume is used for lighting. The remaining 90 percent is wasted in the form of heat.

The next time you need to replace some light bulbs, remember that each ENERGY STAR qualified CFL bulb you purchase is equal to 6 to 10 regular incandescent light bulbs and uses 75 percent less energy.

When purchasing light bulbs, it is important to know that the wattage rating listed on the bulb and packaging isn't a measure of light output, but a measure of the energy the bulb uses.

General wattage equivalency guide for replacing incandescent with CFL bulbs Standard incandescent bulb
(watts) ENERGY STAR qualified CFL
(suggested watts)
40 10
60 15
75 20
100 29
150 38

This table is provided as a guide only. Check the product packaging to determine the equivalent wattage.

ENERGY STAR qualified compact fluorescent light bulbs produce the same light output as regular incandescent light bulbs, but they use less energy. When you think in terms of energy conservation, this is where the big difference is!

Traffic Signals

ENERGY STAR qualified traffic and pedestrian signals consume only 8 to 17 watts depending on the colour and size of the signal. This is an 80% to 90% reduction in energy usage over conventional signals. In addtion, they are very reliable as they can last up to ten years compared to only two years for conventional signals.

A presentation on LED traffic signals was given by Ron Whitelock at the International Municipal Signal Association ( IMSA ) conference in February, 2004, in Toronto. Mr. Whitelock is the Chairman of the Traffic Signal Committee for IMSA Ontario. He contacted about 30 major users of LED traffic signals across Canada, and suppliers as well. This presentation is a summary of the responses he received about their experiences to date with LED traffic signal equipment.

Exit Signs

As of November 1, 2004, internally-lighted exit signs must meet minimum energy efficiency performance levels as specified in Canada's Energy Efficiency Regulations .

This means that all internally-lighted exit signs, manufactured as of November 1, 2004 for sale in Canada, cannot consume more than 5 watts per word "EXIT" or "SORTIE".

The new ENERGY STAR criteria for exit signs is currently being evaluated for use in Canada.